• avi

    Portrait Mode is trash

    I used an iPhone 7 before getting the iPhone X, so I hadn’t had a chance to try Portrait Mode before. Maybe I expected too much based on the demos shown during Apple’s keynotes, but I’ve been sorely disappointed by it. I think it’s complete garbage in its current form.

    I’d say I’ve taken around 30 photos in Portrait Mode so far, and I’ve only kept two of them. The others weren’t worth the storage space. I struggle to take a Portrait Mode photo that doesn’t leave my subject incredibly fuzzy around the edges, and I hate that look.

    I’ve seen much better portrait photos from the Google Pixel 2, which has just one rear-facing camera lens instead of two.

    Perhaps I’m using it wrong, but I’ve spoken to others who have experienced the same. I think the feature has potential, and Apple can make improvements easily through software updates. But for now, I’ve stopped using it.